GEORGIA LIONS PROJECTS
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GEORGIA LIONS LIGHTHOUSE
GEORGIA LIONS EYE BANKS
PEACH BOWL, INC.
GEORGIA LIONS CAMP FOR THE BLIND
SUPREME EXTENSION AWARD
GEORGIA LIONS HEARING AID BANK
RECORDING FOR THE BLIND
LEADER DOGS FOR THE BLIND
A BRIEF HISTORY OF CARE
LIONS CLUBS INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION
MELVIN JONES FELLOWSHIP AWARD
MEMO FOR MEMBERS (THE LIONS MAGAZINE)
THE MAN FROM PLAINS (THE LIONS MAGAZINE)
STATE SECRETARY OFFICE
LIONS INTERNATIONAL CONVENTIONS
PAST INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENTS
GEORGIA LIONS PROJECTS
**Please note that this is a reproduction of an article that was published in 1982. These addresses and telephone numbers are not accurate and should not be used.
Lighthouse Foundation, Inc.
1711 Tully Circle, N.E., Suite 116
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
Telephone 404 325-3630
The Georgia Lions
1365 Clifton Road, N. E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
Telephone 404 321-9300 (24 hours)
Georgia Lions Eye
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, Georgia 30322
Telephone 404 724-1388
Peach Bowl, Inc.
P. 0. Box 1336
Atlanta, Georgia 30301
Telephone 404 525-2971
Camp for the Blind, Inc.
P. 0. Box1031
Waycross, Georgia 30501
Hearing Aid Bank
1711 Tully Circle, N.E., Suite 116
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
Telephone 404 325-3630
The Lighthouse Foundation also has a Trust Fund to be used for expenses incurred in securing a Leader Dog.
In addition, Georgia Lions participate in many charitable projects, national and International, rendering service to mankind.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GEORGIA LIONS LIGHTHOUSE FOUNDATION
by: Nancy Belch, Executive Director
Lion Tom Bingham, the sight conservation chairman of the Atlanta Lions Club, had great visions during the 1940's. Although he was a blind man, he wanted others to be able to enjoy their God given gift of sight.
One of Tom Bingham's greatest visions was that of establishing a state organization that could serve Georgians with visual handicaps. He realized, that individual Lions Clubs were helping many persons within their own respective communities, but he knew that greater things could be accomplished if the Lions of Georgia would consolidate their resources and establish a state-wide organization.
In 1948 he presented his idea to his own Club and received a favorable response. Lion Tom gained much support within his own Club and was greatly inspired by his fellow Club member, Lion Ollie Reeves, who at that time was Georgia's poet laureate and was soon to become the Foundation's first president.
Lion Bingham and Lion Reeves set out to promote their ideas to the Lions of Georgia. They traveled and spoke to many Lions in the State and gained the support of two other important Lions--Jim Carithers and Marvin Pound. With the Moultrie, Albany and Atlanta Lions Clubs each donating $1,000, Tom Bingham's dream of the Lighthouse became a reality.
Once this initial funding was secured, the Georgia Lions state-wide sight conservation program was set into motion. During the first year of operation, the Lighthouse paid $1,700 to aid blind and visually handicapped Georgians.
Since inception, the Lighthouse has operated by strong team effort. Thousands of Georgia Lions provide the funding for various Lighthouse programs. Almost 100 Georgia Lions serve on the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees, managing and directing the activities of the Foundation. Over 100 doctors, ophthalmologists and optometrists, donate their professional fees to the Foundation. By this cooperative team effort, the Lighthouse is able to provide many more Georgians with ophthalmological and optometric services, than it could if management and professional fees had to be paid.
Since March of 1949, this Georgia Lions* program has continually grown. The All-Star Baseball Game, co-sponsored by the Lions of Georgia and the Atlanta Constitution Newspaper brought additional funding to the Foundation during the 1950's. Then in 1968, another Georgia Lions' Dream became a reality with the first annual Peach Bowl Game. This is a major college bowl game, its purpose being that of providing additional funding to the Lighthouse. The major ongoing funding source continues to be the individual Georgia Lions Clubs, with these clubs providing about 60 percent of the total required funding.
During the 1960's the Lighthouse expanded its programs to include two eye banks. These two facilities, one at Emory University in Atlanta and the other at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta, collect and distribute eye tissue for corneal transplant surgery. As with the Lighthouse, these two facilities are managed and directed by the Lions. With these additions to the original Lighthouse program, the Lions increased their efforts and capabilities of bringing sight to sightless people, by administering this vital service for many Georgia ophthalmologists.
During the 1970's the Lighthouse again augmented its original purpose by initiating a hearing conservation program. This program's purpose is that of providing hearing aids to Georgians that cannot afford to purchase their own aids. Its name is The Georgia Lions Hearing Aid Bank.
The late Tom Bingham would be very proud to acknowledge the Lighthouse in all its glory today, realizing that his visions did materialize, even beyond his greatest expectations. Today, this Lions sponsored Foundation is Georgia's oldest voluntary agency serving the visually impaired.
Lion Tom would take great pride in knowing that his fellow Lions have continually nurtured the seed he planted, more than thirty years ago, and have made their Lighthouse one of the best Lions sponsored programs in the world.
THE GEORGIA LIONS LIGHTHOUSE FOUNDATION, INC.
|3/49 - 6/50||Lion Ollie Reeves*|
|6/50 - 2/52||Lion Ancel Leake|
|2/52 - 6/54||Lion George Rankin*|
|6/54 - 6/56||Lion J. D. Carithers|
|6/56 - 6/58||Lion Bob Matthews*|
|6/58 - 6/60||Lion General A. Lester Henderson|
|6/60 - 6/62||Lion W. T. Cooksey|
|6/62 - 6/64||Lion Joe B. Davis|
|6/64 - 6/66||Lion F. Hughes Willingham|
|6/66 - 6/69||Lion S. N. Manning|
|6/69 - 6/71||Lion Willard Kimsey|
|6/71 - 6/73||Lion Maurice Newman|
|6/73 - 6/75||Lion Frank Hollberg, III|
|6/75 - 6/77||Lion Edwin C. Daniel|
|6/77 - 6/79||Lion Don W. Schmidt, M.D.|
|6/79 - Current||Ken Massingale|
GEORGIA LIONS EYE BANKS
opportunity I bring you is this . . .
to become Knights of the Blind."
-Helen Keller, 1925 Lions International Convention
Helen Keller's address to the Lions lnternational Convention so moved her listeners that the group dedicated itself to sight conservation and restoration. The goal has continued to this day.
In our State, evidence of the Lions commitment is seen in a variety of service programs. The Georgia Lions we Bank is a result of a combined effort among the medical community, Georgia Lions, eye bank staff and the public.
11,000 individual Lions in 300 clubs throughout Georgia provide support to the Lions Lighthouse Foundation. The Foundation, in turn, makes a yearly grant to the eye bank, a significant portion of the bank's operating budget.
Both the Lions organization and Lighthouse Foundation appoint representatives to the eye bank's Board of Trustees. Lions members devote energy to informing the public about the services of the eye bank and encouraging their neighbors to complete a donor card.
Through the eye bank program, the Lions of Georgia have taken to heart the international motto: "We Serve."
LIONS SERVICE THROUGH EYE CENTER
The long-standing support of the eye bank has led to the Georgia Lions commitment to the largest project ever undertaken by the state organization.
Georgia Lions have pledged over $1 million over three years toward the construction of the Emory Eye Center. The center, an eleven million dollar building, will house teaching, research, patient care and eye bank facilities. The 80,000 square foot structure will serve as a regional center for specialized eye care.
Georgia Lions have helped the eye bank grow from a fledgling organization to one of the leading banks in the country. And now Lions are committed to an Eye Center second to none. Georgia Lions have truly acted on Helen Keller's challenge.
Development of the Eye Bank affiliated with Emory University has been phenomenal, and too much credit cannot be given to Lion Y. T. Abernathy, of the North DeKalb Lions Club for the extensive, unceasing and sacrificial effort he has put into this project. He is Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Louis A. Wilson, M.D. is Medical Director, and Janie Benson is Executive Director.
The Eye Bank at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta has for years been carrying on this work under the direction of Lion Willard W. Prior, who has given many years of constant service in this noble undertaking.
The Lions Clubs of Georgia, through the Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation, sponsor two Eye Banks, one affiliated with the Emory University School of Medicine and the other with the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. The Eye Banks supply donor eye tissue to eye surgeons for use in restoring sight through corneal transplants. The donor eye tissue is obtained from deceased persons who, while living, have agreed to donate their eyes to the Eye Bank upon death. The family may also agree to make the donation of sight at the time of death.
Another purpose of the Eye Dank is to provide eye tissue for ophthalmic research. Studies are being performed on lens aging, senile cataract formation, cornea preservation and clarity and the sensitivity of parts of the eye to certain drugs.
The availability of eye tissue provides the best hope for determining the causes of diseases of the eye and for finding more effective treatment and prevention of those diseases. .
LIONS EYE BANK
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
Telephone 404 321-9300
|GEORGIA LIONS EYE BANK
Medical College of Georgia
Augusta, Georgia 30902
Hughes Willingham, President of the Lighthouse in 1965, called together five active Georgia Lions in the fall of that year, to discuss the possibility of a Project for the Lighthouse. The Committee requested and received permission to appear before the Extra Events Committee of the NCAA in January, 1966, in Washington, D. C. There had been a moratorium on additional bowl games for several years and it was not lifted that year. In January, 1967, the Committee requested and received permission to appear again in Houston, Texas, for a post season bowl game under the Lighthouse sponsorship. That year, the Committee was expanded by the new head of the Lions Eye Bank and who had played football at Purdue in the 1950's. Again, the petition was denied and the moratorium continued in effect.
Persistent and determined, the Committee worked tirelessly to strengthen its case and in January, 1968, Sim Manning, Dr. Froncie Gutman, and George Crumbley represented the Committee in New York and made a third presentation to the Extra Events Committee of the NCAA. In April, 1968, the Extra Events Committee recommended to the NCAA Council that the Peach Bowl be certified as a Major post-season collegiate football bowl with the first game to be played in December, 1968.
The Peach Bowl was on its way!
The Peach Bowl Organization
Since the Lighthouse Charter does not permit sponsorship of an event of this kind, the Executive Committee of the Lighthouse chartered the Peach Bowl, Inc., to administer the Bowl with all profits generated to go to the Lighthouse for eye research and sight conservation.
The Executive Committee of the Lighthouse names the Directors of the Peach Bowl. They serve for three years with approximately1/3 of them coming up each year for rotation or re-election. The present Directors include, among others, Past Presidents and Vice Presidents of the Lighthouse, Past International Directors, and Past District Governors.
The officers of the Peach Bowl are elected by the Peach Bowl Directors each year.
The day to day activities of the Peach Bowl are regulated by an Executive Committee named by the Peach Bowl Board of Directors and are administered by an Executive Director.
The Purpose of the Peach Bowl
Quoting from the Peach Bowl Charter, "The principal object of the corporation is to generate funds for the Lighthouse; to aid in the preservation of sight and the prevention of blindness; to conduct research into the causes of eye deficiency and failure; and to aid the blind."
AND PURPOSE OF
GEORGIA LIONS CAMP FOR THE BLIND
In 1972 the Okefenokee Lions Club, under the direction and leadership of Dr. C. M. Blanton, Past District Governor of District 18-B, saw a need to provide recreation for blind children in the State of Georgia, Realizing that most of the 12,500 blind people in the state had no place to turn to for planned, safe recreation, they decided to hold a one week summer camp for a number of blind children. The camp was set up at Laura S. Walker State Park, near Waycross, Georgia.
July of 1974 other Lions Clubs in the area of Waycross and south Georgia requested Don Anderson, District Governor of 18-B, to form a committee for the purpose of locating land and organizing a camp for the blind in the state of Georgia. District Governor Don Anderson took the plans before the Georgia Lions Council of Governors and received commitments from them that they would support the effort 100% throughout the state.
Lion Floyd Thomas, a member of the Waycross Lions Club, suggested we try to secure 61 acres of land, joining the Laura S. Walker State Park.
On November 27, 1974, a delegation led by District Governor Don Anderson, which included Dr. C. H. Blanton; Don Lynch; Vivian Yawn, Past District Governor; Mary Marsh, Executive Secretary for Lions Lighthouse; Gene Lindsay, State Secretary; and George Crumbley, met with Governor Jimmy Carter and presented him the plat of land and the idea of a camp for the visually handicapped in the state of Georgia.
It was pointed out by the Department of State Parks that the land in question would need to be transferred from forestry to the state parks. A survey was necessary. This was approved by the Council of Governors.
Brunswick Pulp Land Company furnished a survey crew and a plat was delivered April 9, 1975, on 61.3 Acres.
In late June the Department of Natural Resources approved the transfer of the 61.3 acre tract to the Department of State Parks. This was formally accomplished by use agreement. On September 12, the "Georgia Lions Camp for the Blind" was chartered as a non-profit organization.
The site is located adjacent to the Laura S. Walker State Park, approximately ten miles east of Waycross. This area has a good climate which will permit year-round use of the camp.
The area is particularly rich in its variety of plant and animal life. Night and day, the air is filled with the sounds of animals and the fragrance of numerous plants and flowers. The camp is designed to encourage the visually handicapped to experience, appreciate and understand these many sounds and smells.
The site is 61 acres in size and includes fields in cultivation, grown-up fields, pecan grove, pine woods, an old home site, and a pond extension of Laura S. Walker Lake.
The site also includes a good variety of south Georgia natural habitat from well drained high ground to pond, and from clear ground to thickets.
SUPREME EXTENSION WARD
Lion Dr. C. M. (Bookie) Blanton received the only Supreme Extension Award ever received in the state April 17, 1971 at the Charter night of the Golden Isles Lions Club, St. Simons Island, Georgia. The award, Given for organizing ten Lions Clubs, was presented by State Secretary Alcee F. Maxfield. The ten clubs organized by Lion Blanton himself are: Brunswick, Jesup, Blackshear, Patterson, Screven, Midway, Lanier County, Golden Isles, Glenville, and Okefenokee.
Lion Blanton, with the help of H. A. Stallings, organized Nahunta (Brantley County) Lions Club September 19, 1944. Lion Stallings was District Governor of District 18 (all of Georgia was one District) in 1935-36. The State Historian was present when Lion Blanton organized Screven in 1955. It is estimated that Dr. Blanton has brought at least 300 new Lions into Lionism.
At the present time (March 1981) Lion Blanton is organizing a Lions Club at lmmokolle, Florida. He has 43 years of perfect attendance, and is one of the few Georgia Lions Holding the Key of Nations.
Among his proudest works is the Camp for the Blind, in the development of which he was a leading figure.
GEORGIA LIONS HEARING AID BANK
The Georgia Lions Hearing Aid Bank is a service function of the Lions of Georgia.
The Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation, Inc. is the servicing agency for this Hearing Arid Bank, under the direction of the Lighthouse Administrator. The governing body of the Hearing Aid Bank is a Board of Directors headed by a Chairman, who acts as the Executive Officer of said board.
The Georgia Lions Hearing Aid Bank was organized in 1977 for the purpose of making hearing aids available on a loan basis, to indigent persons of Georgia when there is no other source of help available. Funding of the Hearing Aid Bank is through voluntary contributions to the Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation, Inc. Approximately 90% of these funds come from the fund raising efforts of the Lions of Georgia and their sale of brooms, mops, lightbulbs, fruit cakes, barbecues, air shows, and the many varied efforts of these Lions.
Because of the limited amount of funds available to the Hearing Aid Bank, at present we are dispensing only used hearing aids that have been thoroughly checked and reconditioned where needed.
Application for a hearing aid may be initiated by a Lions Club, County Health Department, Department of Family and Children Services, located in the County where the applicant lives. Host County Health Departments and offices of the Department of Family and Children Services have application forms. If not, they are available from the Lighthouse office. All questions on application must be completed and financial need of applicant must be carefully screened prior to submission to the Lighthouse office.
RECORDING FOR THE BLIND
Recording for the Blind is an educational resource, dedicated to improving the quality of life for the thousands of print-handicapped who rely upon our services to educate themselves. RFB provides, free on loan, taped educational books to blind and otherwise print-handicapped students from grammar school to graduate school throughout the United States and in thirty-five foreign countries. It enables them to equip themselves educationally to become independent taxpaying citizens making constructive contributions in their chosen fields. RFB also serves those who need recorded books in order to pursue their professional careers or vocations.
Anyone at any educational level who is blind or unable to read because of physical or perceptual handicap is eligible for Recording for the Blind's services.
RFB serves its clients in two ways: (1) copies of any of the more than 46,000 titles currently available in the master Tape Library are duplicated and sent to eligible borrowers on request; (2) when the title requested is not in the library, it is recorded by our dedicated volunteers for the student or professional who needs it.
Professional, and Business Careers Fulfilled
Since our beginnings in 1951, over 55,000 students have used our services. Many of these students have gone on to successful professional and business careers. The services provided by RFB demonstrate that a disability from reading does not stand in the way of achievement. Last year alone RFB served over 13,000 students. The constantly growing Master Tape Library contains over 46,000 recorded titles, on a wide variety of specialized subjects, and grows at the rate of 400 newly recorded titles a month. Each of these titles was recorded initially at the request of a single student, but is available to all handicapped students and professionals upon request. Some of our master tape titles have been duplicated hundreds of times.
RFB's primary purpose is educational, but in helping students prepare for successful. business and professional careers, it also challenges the sterotype image of the blind as helpless and dependent.
HISTORY - LEADER DOGS FOR THE BLIND
Without doubt, one of the most dramatic and best known service activities of Lions is the Leader Dog Program. The Leader Dog School was founded in 1939 by three Lions who were unable to get Leader Dogs from any other source. The founders were S. A. Dodge, Donald P. Schuur, and Charles A. Nutting; all of whom later served as President of the Leader Dog Organization. Conceived in a dream, Leader Dog has now growm to be the largest and one of the finest dog guide schools in the world.
The whole enterprise began, with more courage than anything else, when a few Lions from Detroit purchased an old farmhouse which still stands in the center of a complex now valued at over five million dollars. The Leader Dog School in Rochester, Michigan, is adjacent to an estimated 45% of the nation's blind. The Leader Dog School continually adds to its annual graduation output.
During its first years of operation, only a few people graduated. In fiscal year 1980, 302 Leader dog teams will graduate; 302 more blind people will go into the world able to live a life of their own, despite blindness. Altogether over 5000 Leader Dogs have been trained since the founding of the school in Rochester.
For 40 years Lions have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in the Leader Dog School, and have made it their major project. Each year their contributions increase and last year $1,115,756 was contributed by Lions.
The Leader Dog School offers its services through the Lions of all states. Lions have the privilege of offering Leader Dogs to all who are eligible. Lions help spread the word that blind people who want to be free and mobile can have a Leader Dog for the asking. Any Lions Club member can write in behalf of a blind candidate to obtain an application. Leader Dogs for the Blind will consider it a privilege and a pleasure to serve that person under the auspices of the Lions.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF CARE
CARE is the work of many hands. Its accomplishments over the years are the work of millions of American and Canadian citizens--people who give freely of their money, talents and time. CARE's active support base is even now expanding to include individuals and organizations in Europe, Asia and Australia.
CARE was incorporated November 27, 1945, in the District of Columbia, as a voluntary, nonprofit, nonpolitical, nonsectarian, nongovernmental agency to meet the needs of millions of men, women and children destitute in Europe after World Mar II. The founders were 22 major American organizations--cooperative, relief, religious, labor. The Canadian Branch of CARE was established the following year.
CARE food packages first reached Europe May 11, 1946 at LeHavre, France. Distributions began soon afterwards in ten other countries on the continent and in Great Britain.
As the "recovery miracle" spread across Europe, CARE, finding that its goal had been achieved, withdrew from the European countries it had served. But by this time, the agency had expanded its help to include countries on the other continents. In 1972 the only CARE Mission remaining in Europe was in Greece.
Meantime, CARR had also moved into another type of aid with its Self-Help Program around the world. In 1962, it broadened its scope still further when MEDICO, Founded in 1958 by Dr. Peter D. Comanduras and the late Dr. Thomas A. Dooley, became a service of CARE. And in 1967, the first partnership development agreement for shared-cost, self-help partnerships was signed for school construction in Honduras. Partnership Development Programs are now a key feature of the CARE system.
Born of an emergency in the aftermath of one war, CARE soon came to be counted upon for help to victims of other wars as well as of great natural disasters. Conflicts in Korea, Vietnam, Nigeria; famine in India; typhoon and civil strife on the subcontinent; earthquakes, floods and fires in other parts of the world brought pleas for help that were answered by affirmative action. In 1971, CARE celebrated its 25th Anniversary and was honored with special commemorative stamps by the United States, Ceylon, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Guatemala.
MELVIN JONES FELLOW AWARD
On March 31, 1979, 138 Georgia Lions and Lionesses were guests of Lion U.S. President Jimmy Carter and wife Rosalyn at a coffee in the State Dining Room in the White Rouse. President Carter has been a Lion for many years and is a Past District Governor of District 18-C.
During the ceremony that followed, President Carter was presented the Lions Clubs International and Lions International Foundation Plaque inscribed as follows: "Melvin Jones Fellow, presented to Jimmy Carter, for dedicated humanitarian services by Lions International Foundation. Ralph A. Lynam, President 1978-79 of Lions Clubs International and Joseph M. McLaughlin, President of Lions International Foundation."
This was sponsored by the Georgia Past District Governors Association.
Plaques were also presented by the Georgia Past District Governors Association to both President Carter and Lioness Rosalynn and appropriate responses were made by each. The plaque to Lion Jimmy Carter read: "PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER-- who gives his brilliant best to his country and in appreciation for his stand on human rights to all people worldwide." The plaque to Rosalynn read: "FIRST LADY ROSALYNN CARTER--who gives devoted service to her family and her nation and for promoting greater harmony and better understanding between peoples of the world.'*
Lion Robert Young, FrankIin, Georgia and President of the Georgia Past District Governors presented the plaques.
President and Mrs. Carter greeted each participant and discussed common interests. Following this, the Lions and Lionesses toured the White House and made a bus tour of Washington. The return flight from Washington completed a momentous day.
The $1,000 cost of the Melvin Jones Fellow Award was paid to Lions lnternational Foundation by the Past District Governors who also paid their personal expenses for the trip.
The following Georgia Lions are Melvin Jones Fellows: Leon Bryant, Jimmy Carter, George H. Erwin, Sr., R. Shaefer Heard, James T. Riddle, Eugene Sanders, and Edwin C. Daniel.
FROM THE LION
Answer for Action
District Governor Jimmy Carter (18-C, Georgia) was informed that one of his clubs planned to dispense with meetings unless there was worthwhile business to conduct. Here is his answer to the Club's president:
I have just received a copy of your membership and Activities Report in which it was stated that your Lions club has decided "to have only called meetings when something more important than eating was evident." This was a distressing statement for me to read, because it indicates that the Lions in your club see no worthwhile function for them to perform in the community.
Have all of your members, through the regular programs, become thoroughly familiar with the problems and opportunities which face the community? Have they studied and do they understand the local educational system, the welfare program, the tax structure of the county and city, the sheriff's office and other activities concerned with maintaining law and order?
Have they studied the development of your natural resources, the acquisition of all possible industry for your community, and the relationship between individual citizens and local, state and federal governments?
Is there a fully developed youth program which permits the young people of your county to take part in a wholesome and enjoyable life of recreation and community service in harmony with you and the other adults there? Is there a Leo Club so that the young leaders may begin to understand the principles of service to others in an organized and inspired manner? Have your outstanding students been recognized by you for achievement in academic work, patriotism, athletics, or other endeavors, and do they feel that they habitually have the support and approval of the adults of the community when they strive for excellence? Do you sponsor a Boy Scout, Girl Scout or Cub Scout Troop? Is your club creating better citizenship by encourage debate, essay and declamation contests about patriotism, Americanism and citizenship?
Have all of your members been indoctrinated in the principles of Lionism through programs about the International organization, Lionism in other countries, the CARE program, the efforts for world peace through Lionism, and through participation in district, state and International Conventions?
Are your members eye donors to the Lions Lighthouse Eye Bank, and have other citizens of the community been given the opportunity of insuring sight to a blind person after their death? Are all children in your schools guaranteed adequate eyesight by your Club? Has your club supported the Georgia Lions Peach Bowl Game by ticket sales, to insure a good research program to eliminate blindness in our state?
Have each of your members been given a chance each month to participate in some program, large or small, to make your community a better place to live? Have other men of your community been given a chance to become Lions and to participate in community service (which is the only purpose of Lionism)?
There are clubs in our district which are performing all of these functions and many others as a matter of routine. By staying active and having a sense of accomplishment, they thoroughly enjoy their club meetings and they are a vital force in their community. I believe very deeply that your community needs the inspiration and service that can come from you Lions there, but your own activity must originate among yourselves. Neither I nor any other person force on you a responsibility or project which you do not wish to assume.
I do hope, however, that before your club makes a final decision to cease regular meetings that you will permit me and your other district officers to come there and meet with you and the other club members--not to criticize, but simply to be of service, if possible.
MAN FROM PLAINS"
From THE LION
Where's Plains, Georgia? It takes a mighty big map of the state to find it. Towns with a population of 683 are easily overlooked by map-makers, and when asked, few people in the United States even know it existed, much less able to pinpoint it on an atlas. But that was a little over a year ago. On January 20, 1977, all 683 citizens of this southern Georgia town were in one of two places-- in front of their TV sets or in Washington, D.C. Their friend, their neighbor, the town's favorite son and most famous resident, James Earl Carter, Jr., was being sworn in as the 39th President of the United States.
Today, Plains enjoys equal billing with any world metropolis. Tourists, reporters, and television crews at times outnumber the residents. Plains is, beyond a doubt, on the map.
Not only can the people of Plains claim Jimmy Carter as one of "their own", Lions around the world can salute him as a fellow member. President Carter has been a member of the Plains Lions Club for over 23 yeses, and served in a number of Club and District capacities, including that of District Governor. President Carter attended Georgia Southwestern College and Georgia Tech before enrolling at the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland, in 1943.
He graduated in 1946, 59th in a class of 820, and for the next seven years served aboard a number of ships, among them a nuclear submarine. He was discharged and returned to Plains in 1953 upon the death of his father.
That same year he joined the Plains Lions Club and was soon serving as bulletin editor and as a member of the activities committee. He was President of his club in 1957-58 and during his term the club finished paying for a community swimming pool. The future United States President began taking a more active interest in district affairs, and in 1960-69 served as District Governor of18-C. He was a 100% District Governor and chairman of his Multiple District council. He completed his year by attending the 1969 International Convention in Tokyo, Japan. President Carter also sponsored four members, including his brother Billy, who is still an active Lion. The President and his son, Chip, are still members of the club.
President Carter combined his community activities and his business ventures as a peanut farmer with a meteoric career as a public servant. He became a State Senator in 1962 and in 1970 was elected Governor of the State of Georgia.
Early in 1976, Jimmy Carter was virtually unknown outside his home state. His campaign for the Presidency was at first greeted by--Jimmy who? But Jimmy Carter went to the people, and listened to their needs. Soon, the man from tiny Plains, Georgia, began gaining momentum. His campaign, as the political pundits are fond of saying, caught fire. He won primary after primary, and by the time the gavel opened the Democratic National Convention in New York, he was the obvious choice for the nomination.
It was a proud moment on January 20 when Jimmy Carter took the oath of office from United States Chief Justice Warren Burger--a proud moment for his life, Rosalynn; his sons, Jack, 29; Chip, 26; and Jeff, 24; his daughter, Amy, 9 and his mother, Lillian. The White House is a long way from the streets of Plains where, as a boy, the President sold peanuts and hot dogs. To carry out his responsibilities as Chief Executive, he will need to draw on every leadership quality he learned in community service as a Lion and as a deacon of the Plains Baptist Church, as a naval officer and in the Georgia Legislature and State House. In this task, he has the prayers and best wishes of the Lions of the world.
MULTIPLE DISTRICT 18 - GEORGIA
BY ALCEE MAXFIELD
State Office, June 1, 1965.
When reopening the Lions of Georgia State Office, there were many things to be considered. Among those things were: 1. A Central location in the State which had a good statewide road network; 2. Preferably a larger town to provide good mail and phone service; 3. Good and reasonably priced office space and living accommodations. Macon, being in the center of the state, seemed to provide most of these requirements, and we negotiated reasonably priced office space by agreeing to add a &ions International prestige by agreeing to place a Lions Road Sign on the building site. This was--and still is--the only sign allowed on the Robert E. Lee Building in Macon.
Purpose of the State
Office and International Representative.
The primary purpose of an International Representative being assigned to a District is to assist the District Governors organize new Lions Clubs and to help them to rebuild or reorganize old, weak, or Status Quo clubs as needed. Lions International requires that a Multiple District have a maximum of 10,000 members before an International Representative and Office Secretary can be assigned to a Multiple District full time. Lions International pays both of these persons salaries. The Multiple District has to carry all other costs of the operation of a State Office,-- Office rent, furniture, stationery and supplies, and the costs of and maintenance of typewriters and mimeograph, etc, Enough office furniture was in storage here in Macon to furnish the office and International gave us use of it. Some of the 1965 incoming State Secretary's personal equipment was also used in the office, on a loan basis.
Duties and Pay.
It is customary for a multiple District to pay a State Secretary a small amount per month as a supplement for the added work he does purely of a Multiple District nature. -Under the supervision of the Council of Governors, some of these duties are: 1. Assist the Chairman in preparing an agenda for each Council meeting; 2. Assist the Treasurer in keeping the State Funds Books and preparing a Statement of Funds for each Meeting; 3. Assist the Secretary in taking and reproducing or publishing Minutes of each Council Meeting and the State Conventions; 4. Assist other Council Members as needed or requested; 5. and primarily in maintaining and building membership by sponsoring friendly competition between clubs in Membership contests, and in hundreds of other ways in which a good State Secretary can assist each Governor and each individual Club become stronger and of more service to its Community.
in the State.
When an International Representative is assigned to a State or area, one of his greatest needs is to become known to each Lion and Lions Club in the area as much as possible. Many, many hours of the first six months he is there will be spent in traveling about the state contacting as many Lions Club Officers, Clubs, and as many individual Lions as possible. These contacts must be continued all the time he is in the state. Each new Council of Governors, each new Club President, Officer and Director, as well as individual Lions must be encouraged to feel that the State Secretary can be called on for help at anytime and that it will be willingly, enthusiastically and even eagerly given. Not only this, but the State Secretary should search out ways to offer other assistance at all times. He should seek to enhance the relationship between his state and the International Association. Unusual and worthwhile projects accomplished by clubs in the State should be referred to the Lion Magazine for possible publication as feature articles. Good strong Community services should be suggested to the Magazine Editor for use in publicizing the state always.
Membership - both in old and new Clubs.
It was felt that stronger emphasis and more time should be placed on keeping the Lions Clubs of the State growing end active, as well as building their memberships, than in organizing new clubs. Lions International stressed new Club organization above this. This opinion was discussed at many Extension Decision Meetings from 1965 to 1974. It was not until 1972, however, that International. Representatives were instructed to give a percentage of their time to Membership Retention. We had pushed Membership Retention from 1965, and had been devoting about 50% of our time to this important work. Long established as well as newly organized Clubs were helped with Membership Development and Retention. Many aids were developed and furnished all clubs,- contests were planned and carried out, and letters written to Prospective Members for any Lions Club which could be induced to undertake a Membership Development and Retention. This time and work in Membership Retention and Development and the organization of new Clubs, resulted in the Multiple District showing a NET GAIN in each of the years from 1965 thru 1974.
Soon after the State Office was opened here in Georgia, the State Secretary developed a plan to help a Lions Club build its Membership, both in small, weak or large well organized clubs. This plan has been used extensively in the State and by many other Districts in Lionism. The plans best known success was when it was used in District 18-E. One Club, with a membership of 14, was able to add 20 new members in two months time by using the plan. Another Club, with a membership of 15 added 18 new members in 6 weeks time. The State Secretary helped in both cases by writing several letters to each of the Prospective Numbers for the Club, inviting them to a special meeting devoted and pointed toward enrolling new members. Membership Development must be a continuing process in every club each year.
The great amount of help which most Past District Governors can give a new District Governor is seldom asked for or used. This is a waste of some of the best tools available to any District Governor in building his District and the possible organization of new Lions Clubs in his District. Possibly the greatest help a Past District Governor can give is helping to strengthen weak and small Lions Clubs. District Governors should not be hesitant in asking Past District Governors for assistance at any time. Most of them want to help and have the ability to do so. Most of them do not want to overshadow their Governor, but are willing to work for and with him when asked to. Most are honored to be asked to help on any project--why not use them,--no tool or assistance should be overlooked or be not used by a District Governor.
Most State wide Projects tend to supply an adhesive effect for holding Lions Clubs closer together. The Georgia Lions Lighthouse Foundation, the Atlanta and Augusta Lion Eyebanks, the Georgia Lions Camp for the Blind, and the Peach Bowl, all--by encouraging Lions to work together toward a common goal--make each of the individual Clubs which take part in them, stronger and tend to help keep their membership growing. Then, when the services of these Statewide Projects are used in the community - and properly publicized in the local news media - the Community will give stronger support to the local Club's projects and make more new members available. Here too, it should be suggested, - each club undertaking; each regular meeting speaker; each Club Fund Raiser; each Community Service performed should be written up and handed to the local news media--let the Community know every time possible, what your Lions Club is doing.
1965 thru 1974
- Years of Steady Growth
The years 1975 thru 1974 saw a steady increase in the total number of Lions in Georgia as well as a small-but steady- increase in the total number of Lions Clubs each year. Many weak or small Clubs were strengthened and increased their number of members. During this period, 18 old clubs which had or were about to fold up, were reorganized and 64 new Lions Clubs were organized. This added a total of 2,478 members to Lionism in Georgia. This total, both in Clubs and in Members, is far larger than any one District in the State. A table of each year's New and Reorganized Clubs, showing the number and number added follows:
On June 1, 1965 District
18 had a total of 10,342 Members;
On March 1, 1974 District 18 had a total of 11,696 Members;
One of the outstanding events this decade in the History of Georgia Lionism was a visit by a group of 73 Past District Governors of Georgia Lions and their Lionesses (a total of 139 persons) to Washington, D.C. for the purpose of presenting their special plaques and a Life Membership in the Lions International Foundation to President (Lion) Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter on March 31, 1979. The party left Atlanta at 8:OO A.M. on a Delta Airlines flight; were met at the Washington National Airport by 3 chartered busses; were honored with a coffee in the State Dining Room of the White Rouse by the Carters; Presented the Plaques in a single - yet heartfelt - ceremony to Rosalynn and Jimmy; were escorted by Rosalynn on a tour of the White House and thru the Rose Garden into the Oval Office where Jimmy had returned to handle world affairs; enjoyed a fine meal at the Flagship Restaurant in Washington; Had a private bus tour of Washington, Arlington Cemetery; and the area; Then returned to Atlanta by 7:30 PM that evening. It was a beautiful day in many respects: - months of planning had gone into the preparations; All connections worked smoothly; the Cost was small; The group was most congenial; Rosalynn and Jimmy were very appreciative and touched by our love for them; Pictures were taken of each couple with the Carters; and it seemed that each person making the trip had a most enjoyable time and really appreciated being and visiting together.
* Past lnternational Director Alcee F. Maxfield served as Georgia Lions State Secretary 1965-74.
SEPTEMBER 1974 THRU 1981
During the first quarter of the Lions year, the new Council of Governors was faced with the task of selecting a State Secretary. Many applications were submitted to the Council and these applicants interviewed at Jekyll Island during a scheduled meeting of the Council. At that time Colonel Eugene K. Lindsay, USAF, Retired, a Member of the Warner Robins Lions Club, was selected and Lions Clubs lnternational notified. In August Lions Clubs International appointed Lion Lindsay as International Representative, and he reported for duty on 1 September 1974.
From 1 September the State Secretary worked with the Council of Governors in increasing Membership and organizing Clubs. During this period many old files and papers stored in the State Office were sent to the State Historian for his records. Many new projects were begun in the State Office to reorganize and do away with antiquated equipment and procedures. New equipment was purchased to assist the office secretary in performing her duties more efficiently and plans made to strengths the relationship between the State Office and the Lions of Georgia.
During this period the recession and economic decline hit many of our members and prospective members and some clubs which had been Chartered previously turned in their Charter and ceased to operate. Many Members who were retired and living on a fired income dropped their membership because of the rising costs of living. However, with the help of many of the District Governors, Deputy District Governors and Zone Chairmen, along with the State Secretary, Members were retained in the Clubs and new Clubs organized. It is impossible for anyone to determine how many Members were retained in clubs throughout the state as no records exist of intentions of members and there is no method to determine such actions. New Members and New Clubs are a matter of record, and the following reflects the trend during this period:
On 1 September
District18 had a total of 11,481 Members.
On 1 July 1982 District 18 had a total of 10,367 Members.
ASSOCIATION OF LIONS CLUBS
|1917||Dallas, Texas||October 8-10|
|1918||St. Louis, Missouri||August 19-21|
|1919||Chicago, Illinois||July 9-11|
|1920||Denver, Colorado||July 13-16|
|1921||Oakland, California||July 19-22|
|1922||Hot Springs, Arkansas||June 19-24|
|1923||Atlantic City, New Jersey||June 26-29|
|1924||Omaha, Nebraska||June 23-26|
|1925||Cedar Point, Ohio||June 29-July 2|
|1926||San Francisco, California||July 21-24|
|1927||Miami, Florida||June 15-18|
|1928||Des Moines, Iowa||July 10-13|
|1929||Louisville, Kentucky||June 18-21|
|1930||Denver, Colorado||July 15-18|
|1931||Toronto, Canada||July 14-17|
|1932||Los Angeles, California||July 19-22|
|1933||St. Louis, Missouri||July 11-14|
|1934||Grand Rapids, Michigan||July 17-20|
|1935||Mexico City, Mexico||July 23-25|
|1936||Providence, Rhode Island||July 21-24|
|1937||Chicago, Illinois||July 20-23|
|1938||Oakland, California||July 19-22|
|1939||Pittsburg, Pennsylvania||July 18-21|
|1940||Havana, Cuba||July 23-25|
|1941||New Orleans, Louisiana||July 22-25|
|1942||Toronto, Canada||July 21-24|
|1943||Cleveland, Ohio||July 20-22|
|1944||Chicago, Illinois||August 1-3|
|1946||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||July 16-19|
|1947||San Francisco, California||July 28-31|
|1948||New York, New York||July 26-29|
|1949||New York, New York||July 18-21|
|1950||Chicago, Illinois||July 16-20|
|1951||Atlantic City, New Jersey||June 24-28|
|1952||Mexico City, Mexico||June 25-28|
|1953||Chicago, Illinois||July 8-11|
|1954||New York, New York||July 7-10|
|1955||Atlantic City, New Jersey||June 24-28|
|1956||Miami, Florida||June 27-30|
|1957||San Francisco, California||June 26-29|
|1958||Chicago, Illinois||July 9-12|
|1959||New York, New York||June 30-July 3|
|1960||Chicago, Illinois||July 6-9|
|1961||Atlantic City, New Jersey||June 21-24|
|1962||Nice, France||June 20-23|
|1963||Miami, Florida||June 19-22|
|1964||Toronto, Canada||July 8-11|
|1965||Los Angeles, California||July 7-10|
|1966||New York, New York||July 6-9|
|1967||Chicago, Illinois||July 5-8|
|1968||Dallas, Texas||June 26-29|
|1969||Tokyo, Japan||July 2-5|
|1970||Atlantic City, New Jersey||July 1-4|
|1971||Las Vegas, Nevada||June 22-25|
|1972||Mexico City, Mexico||June 28-July 1|
|1973||Miami, Florida||June 27-30|
|1974||San Francisco, California||July 3-6|
|1975||Dallas, Texas||June 25-28|
|1976||Honolulu, Hawaii||June 23-26|
|1977||New Orleans, Louisiana||June 29-July 2|
|1978||Tokyo, Japan||June 21-24|
|1979||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||June 20-23|
|1980||Chicago, Illinois||July 2-5|
|1981||Phoenix, Arizona||June 17-20|
|1982||Atlanta, Georgia||June 30-July 3|
|1983||Honolulu, Hawaii||July 4-7|
|1984||San Francisco, California||June 21-25|
|1985||Dallas, Texas||June 18-22|
|1986||New Orleans, Louisiana||July 9-12|
|1987||Manila, Philippines||June 24-27|
PAST INTERNATIONAL PRESIDENTS
|1917-18||*Dr. W. P. Woods - Evansville, Indiana, U.S.A.|
|1918-19||*L. H. Louis - Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.|
|1919-20||*Jesse Robinson - Oakland, California, U.S.A.|
|1920-21||*Dr. C. C. Reid, Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.|
|1921-22||*Ewen W. Cameron, Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.|
|1922-23||*Ed S. Vaught, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.A.|
|1923-24||*John S. Noel, Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.A.|
|1924-25||*Harry A. Newman, O. C., Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|1925-26||*Benjamin F. Jones - Newark, New Jersey, U.S.A.|
|1926-27||*William A. Westfall - Mason City, Iowa, U.S.A.|
|1927-28||*Irving L. Camp, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.|
|1928-29||*Ben A. Ruffin- Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.|
|1929-30||*Ray L. Riley - San Francisco, California, U.S.A.|
|1930-31||*Earl W. Hodges - New York, New York, U.S.A.|
|1931-32||*Julien C. Hyer - Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.A.|
|1932-33||*Charles H. Hatton - Wichita, Kansas, U.S.A.|
|1933-34||*Roderick Beddow - Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.A.|
|1934-35||*Vincent C. Hascall - Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A.|
|1935-36||*Richard J. Osenbaugh - Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.|
|1936-37||*Edwin R. Kingsley - Parkersburg, West Virginia, U.S.A.|
|1937-38||*Frank V. Birch - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.|
|1938-39||*Walter F. Dexter - Sacramento, California, U.S.A.|
|1939-40||*Alexander T. Wells - New York, New York, U.S.A.|
|1940-41||Carl M. Sorrick - Springport, Michigan, U.S.A.|
|1941-42||*George R. Jordan - Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.|
|1942-43||*Edward H. Paine - Michigan City, Indiana, U.S.A.|
|1943-44||*Dr. E. G. Gill - Roanoke, Virginia, U.S.A.|
|1944-45||*D. A. Skeen - Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.|
|1945-46||*Dr. Ramiro Collazo - Mariano, Habana, Cuba|
|1946-47||*Clifford D. Pierce - Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.|
|1947-48||*Fred W. Smith - Ventura, California, U.S.A.|
|1948-49||*Dr. Eugene S. Briggs - Edmond, Oklahoma, U.S.A.|
|1949-50||Walter C. Fisher - St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada|
|1950-51||Herb C. Potry, Jr. - Carrizo Springs, Texas, U.S.A.|
|1951-52||*Harold P. Nutter - Oaklin, New Jersey, U.S.A.|
|1952-53||Edgar M. Elbert - Maywood, Illinois, U.S.A.|
|1953-54||*S. A. Dodge - Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, U.S.A.|
|1954-55||*Monroe L. Nute - Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.|
|1955-56||*Humberto Valenzuela G. - Santiago, Chile|
|1956-57||John L. Stickley - Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.|
|1957-58||Edward G. Berry - Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.A.|
|1958-59||Dudley L. Sims - Charleston, West Virginia, U.S.A.|
|1959-60||*Clarence L. Sturm - Manawa, Wisconsin, U.S.A.|
|1960-61||Finis E. Davis - Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A.|
|1961-62||Per Stahl - Eskilstuna, Sweden|
|1962-63||Curtis D. Lovill - Gardiner, Maine, U.S.A.|
|1963-64||Aubrey D. Green - York, Alabama, U.S.A.|
|1964-65||Claude M. DeVorss - Wichita, Kansas, U.S.A.|
|1965-66||*Dr. Walter H. Campbell - Miami Beach, Florida, U.S.A.|
|1966-67||Edward H. Lindsey - Lawrenceburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.|
|1967-68||Jorge Bird - Reo Piedras, Puerto Rico|
|1968-69||David A. Evans - Houston, Texas, U.S.A.|
|1969-70||W. R. Bryan - Doylestown, Ohio, U.S.A.|
|1970-71||Dr. Robert D. McCullough - Tulsa, Oklahoma, U.S.A.|
|1971-72||Robert J. Uplinger - Syracuse, New York, U.S.A.|
|1972-73||George Friedrichs - New Canaan, Connecticut, U.S.A.|
|1973-74||Tris Coffin - Rosemere, Quebec, Canada|
|1974-75||Johnny Balbo - LaGrange, Illinois, U.S.A.|
|1975-76||Harry J. Aslan - Kingsburg, California, U.S.A.|
|1976-77||Prof. Joao Fernando Sobral - Sao Paulo S. P., Brazil|
|1977-78||Joseph M. McLouglin - South Norwalk, Connecticut, U.S.A.|
|1978-79||Ralph A. Lynam - Alma, Michigan, U.S.A.|
|1980-81||Lloyd Morgan - Paraparaumu, New Zealand|
|1981-82||*Kaoru "Kay" Murakami - Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan|
Next Previous History 1970-1980 Main Page History Main Page Lionnet Georgia MD18