HISTORY  1959 - 1960


Lions International

By Percy Plant – Georgia State Historian


Our strong Lion from Cartersville served his second year as International Director and also as chairman of the international Membership Development and Retention Committee.

International Director Ivan Jackson sends this message to the Lions of Georgia :

"All men have an inherent instinct to serve. This instinct can best be satisfied through service in a Lions club. If we properly educate our new Lions in the principles and objects of Lionism, they will participate in our projects and become real Lions."


Georgia, as usual, had a large representation and an excellent hospitality room at the International Convention in New York. Past International President Walter C. Fisher of Canada was the speaker at a big Georgia breakfast with grits.

The Monroe, Ga., Girls Drum and Bugle Corps was named International Parade Champ for 1959, winning over 149 musical units. A fine recognition for the SO-unit group, the Monroe Lions Club and Georgia Lions.


Orchids also to our club secretaries. international informs us that all secretaries’ reports for District 18 through the month of April have reached International office on time. Great work, secretaries.

Orchids to these District Governors whose leadership sparked Multiple District 18 to a fine year. Left to right: Ridley Bell, Columbus, "E"; Charles W. Hatcher, Waycross, "B"; Robert G. Mayo, Northeast Atlanta, "A"; Dr. William F. Mosher, North Dekalb, "D"; F. Hughes Willingham, Lincolnton, "F"; Dr. Elmo W. Davis, Americus, "C".



Midville Lions wrote a masterpiece to the editor of THE LION objecting to a sign, "Beat Midville," on the cover of the November magazine, claiming that Midville is neither "Beat" nor "Beatnik." The editor ate crow saying, among other things, "The Lions Club of Midville is an alert, untiring, unselfish group of handsome men."

Dr. J. C. Logan of the Plains Lions Club was voted Ga.‘s Outstanding Physician by the Ga. Medical Association.

Past International Director Marvin Pound of Sparta has been awarded two keys, one by Past President Ed Barry and the other by Past President John Stickney, for his assistance in coordinating the financial work of International.

Lions International presented life memberships to Atlanta Lions J. O. Partain, A. C. Keiser and V. F. Todd.

International Counselor Eugene Sanders and District Governor Bill Mosher of 18D turned in an unexcelled Membership Development and

Retention job. Seven meetings, held in September, instructed representatives from every one of the District’s 43 clubs. The information supplied about Lionism generated the enthusiasm of an old time revival!

Tifton Lions Club was presented the Dugal Currie Plaque for its outstanding youth program.

 # clubs    # members  
District   1959  1960  1959  1960 
A 45 45 2,042 1,968
B 37 37 1,317 1,312
C 51 51 1,727 1,710
D 44 44 1,799 1,743
E 39 39 1,801 1,795
F 32 32 1,145 1,148
250 248 9,831 9,676

The above figures supplied by International show exactly the same number of clubs in each district as we had last year and a slight decrease in number of members.

Let’s every Lion in Georgia get busy and run these figures over the top in 1960-1961.


Ashburn, Buena Vista, Dade County, Dawson Edison, Ellijay, Gainesville, Lumpkin, Ocilla, Shellman, Talbotton, Tifton and others celebrated 25th anniversaries.

Happy birthday to the Athens Lions Club on 35 years of service.

District 18A had a District Assembly at Berry Schools with International 3rd V.P. Curt Lovill as speaker.

A fine District Assembly of 18C at Bainbridge was addressed by 1st. V.P. Finis Davis.

1st. V.P. Finis Davis also spoke to a large District Assembly of 18D at Gainesville.

Over 450 Lions attended the District Assembly of 18E at Ida Cason Callaway Gardens. International Past President Dudley Sims was the


In additional to the above International officers, Lions of Georgia had as speakers International Director Alcee F. Maxfield of Lake Charles, La., and International Director Dr. Walter H. Campbell of Miami, Fla. Some of these Lions spoke at two or three meetings.

Let us not omit our own International Director Ivan Jackson of Cartersville. This dedicated Lion not only filled numerous engagements in Georgia but also spoke a number of times in other states.


During the past year, the Lighthouse under General A: Lester Henderson, president, and Jim Corbett, executive secretary, spent $16,816.19 in the great work.

THE LIONS LIGHTHOUSE FOUNDATION OF GA., INC. was chartered so that in time the Lighthouse might have sufficient income from investments to carry on the service. Druid Hills Lions Club started the ball rolling with a pledge of $10.00 per month for the Foundation.


A smooth-running and well-attended 38th convention was held in Augusta with Augusta, Fleming, Forest Hills and Garden City as hosts.

The convention heard a splendid address by Per Gustav Stahl, 3rd V.P. of International.

Druid Hills was awarded the District Governors Cup; the Blind Award was presented pianist Jimmy Youmans.

Wives of the outgoing District Governors were given plaques for, "unstinted and invaluable service and loyal, faithful and unselfish efforts."


New animals are now in the Okefenokee Swamp. The Okefenokee Lions Club has been chartered by Waycross.

Lions clubs of Boynton, Chickamauga, Dade County, Dalton, Fairview, LaFayette, Lakeview and Rossville have established an Eye Clinic at the John L. Hutcheson Memorial Tri-County Hospital.

Oxford Lions Club on Goodwill Industries Day secured 4000 objects to be repaired by handicapped citizens.

The Atlanta Lions Club secured applications (including 70 from the club) offering eyes after death to the new Eye Bank.

We serve.                       We serve.                       We serve.

Plains Lions Club built an outstanding medical clinic which brought a new doctor to the community.

Atlanta Southwest bought portable bowling rails which enable blind people to bowl.

The Vine Ingle Lions Club of Macon put on a one day’s radio station operation and netted $2350 for sight work.

Calvary Lions Club, with only 25 members, sponsored a $30,000 medical clinic.

Colbert Lions Club, in a town of about 500 population, chartered an Industrial Commission which secured a garment plant with an investment of $100,000

History Home Page    Lionnet Georgia    MD18